Everything I've learned about Java, I got out of

"Beginning Java 2" by Ivor Horton.

It covers the base Java language in the first ten chapters, and the
rest are dealing with the libraries. I think it pretty much sums up
the entire Java platform, as well as a clear perspective on the "Java
way" of approaching programming. (If there is such a thing... and if
the idea doesn't make you physically sick.)

I find the writing to be practical and straightforward, using examples
to explain rather than descriptions when at all possible.

One caveat is that it is aimed at someone with no programming
experience. The good thing though, is that these parts are easy to
skim over and skip if you already understand the basic concepts.

 -Patrick