On Wednesday 26 August 2009 04:37:58 Alan Busby wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 5:43 AM, npowell <nathan.pow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I mean, I didn't think the article was terribly in depth, but a real,
> > evenhanded comparison would be enlightening.
>
> Reducing it further, I'd be interested just to hear more about the contrast
> of static typing versus macros. Which is more beneficial for different
> situations and why?

Both are used in OCaml but static typing is, of course, far more common there
because it is a core feature of the language. They really solve completely
different problems. Static typing is used to improve performance, catch
errors, provide a form of machine-verified documentation and convey
information to the programmer in the IDE or REPL. Macros are used to extend
the syntax of the language either for adding missing general features or for
creating DSL. Additionally, OCaml's macro system is often used for general
lexing and parsing or arbitrary syntaxes.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e