On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:18 AM, ngocdaothanh <ngocdaoth...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I think there are a lot of people who need to choose between Clojure
> and Scala to study as a "new" language. I must say that both are bad:
> * Clojure doc is hard to understand.
> * Scala grammar is complicated.
>
> I prefer Clojure. I think Clojure feature at this time is OK, thus the
> decisive point to draw people to Clojure is doc. I wonder if the doc
> at this time is obvious for LISP people, but comming from C/C++, Java,
> Ruby, and Erlang (Erlang doc is bad, but it is paradise compared to
> that of Clojure :D) and even after reading the Clojure book, I must
> say that I can't understand 99% of the doc of both clojure and clojure-
> contrib.
>
> For example, what does the following mean?
> -------------------------
> (-> x form)
> (-> x form & more)
> Macro
> Threads the expr through the forms. Inserts x as the second item in
> the first form, making a list of it if it is not a list already. If
> there are more forms, inserts the first form as the second item in
> second form, etc.
> -------------------------

That's funny!  I picked on this exact one a bunch of times!  I can't agree
more.  Thank you.
On the other hand, are those forums as helpful as this one is?

But going back to it, what's even funnier is that, once folks explained what
this arrow thing did, it REALLY put me over the top for giving the language
a break for a while.  I'd say it's not for beginners.  It's frustrating to
have so many ways to do things all at once when all you want at first is ANY
way that works.  And the whole point is that there's only one thing to have
to know, thanks to the parentheses.  And then they invent this arrow thing?
Fugetaboutit!  No, seriously, I agree, but I think the philosophy seems to
be that eventually you will learn it by asking people and/or trying stuff
out, and then you can pass on what you learn to others.   The community will
get big and many people will write nice books and nice docs.  You also, sort
of, have to be a lisper to gain entry with some of the idioms.  Like it
seems like some things are held onto because they are the lisp way --
example: "with-".  That barely ever means anything to me.