On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Miron Brezuleanu <mbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> In order to get a better understanding of how some things happen in Clojure,
> I'd like to step through Clojure code (and I mean the Java code used to
> implement Clojure). Basically, just debug a REPL, set breakpoints etc.
> Since there's a free version of IDEA, I downloaded it and successfully
> created an IDEA project out of existing Clojure sources.
> Now when I try to get a REPL (by using clojure.main as the startup class), I
> get an error about clojure/core.clj not being on the classpath. While a very
> rough solution would be to just move clj/clojure somewhere on the path, I'd
> like to know how to change the classpath for a module.
> I did try playing with the module settings and add a 'library' which has a
> path to clj/clojure, but I must be doing something wrong, as it doesn't seem
> to affect the -cp option of the java invocation (I'm checking this using the
> output window).
> Since I am a complete IDEA newbie, I'd be very happy if someone who is using
> IDEA to work on Clojure can provide a few pointers. I don't mind trying this
> with Eclipse, so Eclipse advice is welcome too.
> Many thanks and Happy New Year everyone,
> --

I developed Clojure in IntelliJ and still do (the Java part).

In your Run/Debug configuration:

Main class: clojure.main
VM Parameters: -server -cp clojure-slim.jar
Working directory: /wherever/you/put/clojure
Before launch: Run Ant target 'clojure-slim'

This will give you REPL in IntelliJ's IDE. That's not a great REPL,
but will let you walk through Clojure internals. With La Clojure you
can also break in .clj files.

Rich