On Mar 4, 7:33 am, Jan Rychter <j...@rychter.com> wrote:
> I haven't hacked on new Clojure stuff for the past two months or
> so. Now, having updated my repositories, I find that everybody just
> dropped ant and moved to leiningen.
>
> I tried to make sense of things, but can't. I must be missing something
> big here.

[...]

> How do people deal with this?

Here's how I do it.

We've got five people in different places with different systems
writing code for a dozen projects, of which five are Clojure projects.
We use a common git server for coordination.

Our standard project layout places all five Clojure projects as
siblings in a common directory, along with a directory called "xglib"
that contains common libraries.

We tried leiningen, and it's appealing in some ways, but it makes too
many assumptions about the way projects are organized, and its habit
of downloading scads of jars quickly became annoying. We have five
projects with partially-overlapping dependencies, some of which have
others as dependencies. It was tiresome always to have multiple
redundant copies of the same jars all over the place, so instead we
created the common xglib directory, which is a sibling of the
projects, and which contains all the libraries used by them.

We use NetBeans as our standard IDE, not because I like it (I don't
like any current-generation IDE) but because it works, and telling new
contributors how to set it up to work with our projects is easy. So
each project is, in fact, a NetBeans project.

We also use Emacs, because a couple of use hate it slightly less than
we hate NetBeans. We have a custom variant of swank-clojure-project
(just a couple of function definitions, really) that knows how to find
our common libraries directory and add all the jars in it to the
CLASSPATH before running the Clojure REPL.

It's also possible to use other editors (TextMate, for example) with
this setup. The standard way we do builds is with NetBeans, but we can
also do them with ant.

It's not great, but it works, and it stays out of our way better than
anything else we've tried so far. A couple of us are old Lisp hackers
with memories of things like SK8 and Leibniz and MCL and SPE and
Genera, so grumbling is ongoing, but we must adapt to the times we
live in.