I think that he made a good point, despite his rantings.

As an experienced java developer, these are the steps I took while
setting my environment up and running.
- downloaded the jar, launched java -jar clojure.jar. I was able to
fiddle with the repl, but when it came to code something dependent
from external libraries (clojure-contrib, for example), I found myself
forging my classpath by hand. This is definitely something java
developers are not accustomed to anymore. Every java developer that i
know is using an IDE that manages the classpath for him.
- relying on lein to manage the deps for me. It is something specific
to learn, and I understand it may not be a correct solution. Moreover,
I found it difficult to do interactive development from the repl with
lein.
- tried vimclojure with nailgun. Besides the non-trivial task of
installing vimclojure, I was back to the "manual classpath hell".

Now, i'm using maven with the clojure plugin, especially the
clojure:nailgun goal. It's by far the simplest solution I found. I
also tried CounterClockWise along the way, but was not convinced.

So, besides the JVM installation issues that I did not experienced,
since I'm used to have a JVM on every computer, there are still many
issues to set up a decent working environment.
A package containing clojure, maven and a wrapper around it designed
to create new projects easily may be way of making Clojure acceptable
for newbies coming from anywhere (java or whatever).

I'm now considering getting back to counterclockwise, especially
because I'm planning to write a tutorial covering all major aspects of
clojure, including the initial set up.
By the way, if someone has an idea about a sample application (simple,
but not trivial) which could lead the tutorial, and show different
aspects of the language, let me know !
I was thinking about a more complete and idiomatic version of Vincent
Foley's "Fetching web comics" tutorial, but something more
"enterprisey" seems more adequate.

--Ronan