On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM, cageface <milese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, if you go to the "getting started" pages of Jruby,
> Groovy they're actually far more daunting (IMO) than Clojure's:
> http://groovy.codehaus.org/Tutorial+1+-+Getting+started
> http://kenai.com/projects/jruby/pages/GettingStarted

The relevant bits of Groovy's page don't seem more daunting to me:

> Setting up your Groovy environment
>
> Download the Groovy installer or binaries from the downloads page and follow
> the installation
> instructions.  (There is currently an issue where you cannot have spaces in
> the path where Groovy is
> installed under windows.  So, instead of accepting the default installation
> path of "c:\Program
> Files\Groovy" you will want to change the path to something like "c:\Groovy")

One sentence and one caveat.  Now, it's preceded by detailed
instructions for installing Java, but those same steps are just as
applicable to Clojure or any other JVM-hosted language, and having
them there is probably not a bad thing.  (Though I would replace them
with a link - "If you don't have Java, click here and follow the
instructions.")

JRuby's installation is more manual, but includes examples.

All three install on Ubuntu with apt-get, though the latest Clojure
there is 1.0.  It does come with a "clojure" shell script for starting
up a REPL, though.

--
Mark J. Reed <markjr...@gmail.com>