It was added here:
http://github.com/richhickey/clojure/commit/d0e1eef26abd215668ed27357839b2bba4ba095c

Not automatically overflowing numbers is a Good Thing.  For example:
http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2010/Mar/447

Though the behavior now deviates from the java casting behavior where
the more significant bits are just truncated.  I can't think of many
cases where a downcast is used *and* the original value is expected to
ever be larger than the target type.  If you really need that, then
bit-masking prior to casting seems appropriate.