I would LOVE to have simple examples for all functions, anyplace that makes
them easy to access during coding. In docstrings would be fine with me, but
other places would work as well.

Here again the Processing project (among others, I'm sure) provides a nice
example IMHO, even though Processing and Clojure are obviously very different
beasts. For each Processing function there's a web page with a description and
a simple example. For example http://processing.org/reference/ellipse_.html .
From the IDE you can jump instantly to a local copy of the page for any
function by highlighting it and selecting "Find in Reference"  -- of course in
Clojure people will be using different IDEs or none at all, so the integration
with the coding environment might not always be this smooth, but the important
thing is that you can get most of what you need for most uses of the function,
including an example, in one place that's easy to find.

By contrast, with Clojure I often end up puzzling over descriptions that
require me to do more hunting to understand what some of the terms mean, or
looking through source code, etc. This is perfectly understandable considering
Clojure's youth and scope, and the focus of the developers on other things. But
I think that this kind of model would be very nice to aim for, especially as a
way to help beginners.

 -Lee

On Jun 29, 2010, at 3:13 AM, Tom Faulhaber wrote:

> I like the idea of having example code for all the functions.
>
> However, speaking for myself only, I don't think that the doc strings
> are the place for a comprehensive set of examples.
>
> How about building them in some external place? (Maybe as a separate
> github project to begin with.) In particular, it would be nice if the
> examples used some literate programming technique that let users open
> the examples and play with them. That way, they could be linked to
> from the documentation (I could roll it into autodoc, for instance,
> subject to Rich and Stuart's constraints) but also directly opened,
> tried, copied, etc. from your editor and repl.
>
> It's easy for me to imagine that, in the not too distant future, we
> could roll that into Clojure core in a way similar to the tests.
>
> Tom

School of Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspec...@hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438

Check out Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines:
http://www.springer.com/10710 - http://gpemjournal.blogspot.com/