I've wanted to work on expanded documentation for Clojure, too, both
as a way to contribute something I think is needed and as a way to
learn Clojure.  To illustrate what I have in mind, I put together an
example of new documentation for 'conj' located here (a read-only
google doc, for now):

http://bit.ly/9YOvgP

Try to imagine the information tastefully laid out with a lot of
hyperlinking, category cross-referencing and additional organization à
la the Clojure Cheat Sheet.  Not only would it be a way to see example
code, both toy examples and real-world examples, but also a way to tie
together related functions/macros, explanations and/or outside linking
for some of the larger concepts (like clojure.org sidebar topics,
links to relevant videos, books?, etc.)

The target audience I had in mind would be people who want to learn
clojure and want to have an available reference more expository than
the current API docs.

Please note that I'm still learning Clojure and one or more bits of
information at the above link may be incorrect!  And it's still very
unfinished; I know at least one of the terms used is incorrect
("items"? I whipped it together ...).  I would welcome corrections and
explanations, even if what I've produced so far is just a simple
example of what could be.

- Ryan Waters