On Aug 9, 7:54 pm, CuppoJava <patrickli_2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> Just for educational purposes, I'm writing a simple lisp compiler and
> am stuck on a small problem.
>
> I'm trying to write a function called (compile-function), which will
> take a function as input and compile it.
>
> If that function calls other functions, I would like (compile-
> function) to automatically compile the called functions as well.
>
> But I'm stuck on how to tell whether a function will be called or not.
> Particularly when functions are passed around as objects.
>
> So the question is this: Given a function f, how can I find all the
> functions that f depends on?

I don't think that's feasible, if it's even possible in the first
place.

Functions that the parent function calls directly you can of course
try to compile whatever you encounter in a function call form; just
check if the operator is a known global function, and compile it.
However, if the operator is a local variable (ie. a function passed as
a parameter) there's no reliable way to find out what function it is.
It might even be a runtime-generated function (by eval)

Since you can't know what functions will be called, the generated code
must somehow verify that it's calling a function in the first place,
perhaps invoke the compiler (if all functions must be compiled), and
then execute it.

--
Jarkko