Bob Hutchison said:

> In other words, I'd be very
> annoyed, and I'd expect others to be annoyed too, if a numerical
> error was introduced to one of my programs because of an unexpected, silent,
> compiler optimisation.

Just to be clear, Clojure 1.3-alpha does not introduce numerical
errors, unless you explicitly ask for them; it throws a
RuntimeException - which I guess is analogous to it being a
dynamically-typed language and throwing RuntimeExceptions to signal
type errors.

  user=> (* 100000000000 100000000000)
  ArithmeticException integer overflow  clojure.lang.Numbers.throwIntOverflow
(Numbers.java:1583)

  user=> (*' 100000000000 100000000000)
  10000000000000000000000N

  user=> (* 100000000000 100000000000N)
  10000000000000000000000N

  user=> (unchecked-multiply 100000000000 100000000000)
  1864712049423024128

--
Dave