> In my experience, errors are the problem and we should be avoiding them,
> almost at all costs.

This debate always starts by conflating three things into two, and then goes
downhill from there. :-( It isn't

(a) safe/slow vs.
(b) unsafe/fast.

It is

(a) unsafe/incorrect value on overflow/fastest/unifiable* vs.
(b) safe/error on overflow/fast/unifiable vs.
(c) safe/promoting on overflow/slow/not-unifiable

*unifiable: able to deliver same semantics for primitives and objects

We have thought about this quite a bit, and an argument from one axis only (e.g
safe/unsafe) that doesn't even mention some of  the other axes is not likely to
be persuasive. Would be more interesting to see a new axis we haven't thought
of...

Stu

Stuart Halloway
Clojure/core