On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 20:42:54 -0500
Christopher Petrilli <petri...@amber.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Mike Meyer
> <mwm-keyword-googlegroups.620...@mired.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 00:09:41 -0500
> > Christopher Petrilli <petri...@amber.org> wrote:
> >> For example, the following projects REQUIRE contributor agreements, in
> >> writing, signed and either scanned or on paper, prior to accepting any
> >> patches or commits:
> >>
> >> - Free Software Foundation
> >> - Apache, and everything under it
> >> - Python
> > I'm sorry, I'm going to call foul on this. I've contributed to Python
> > without ever signing a CA. And the current developers guide page
> > doesn't have anything on it about needing to sign a CA.
> I do not know when you contributed, or whether it was before this
> period, but from

Certainly possible. My largest contributions were docs, which don't
ship with Python and would be excluded.

> http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSoftwareFoundationLicenseFaq:
>
> > If your code is going to end up in Python or the standard library, the PSF
> > will require you to:
> >   * License your code under an acceptable open source license. These
> > currently include only the Academic Free License and the Apache License
> > 2.0, although this list may be expanded in the future. (No, the PSF License
> > is not acceptable; see below)
> >   * Fill out and submit a contributor agreement.
>
> Perhaps they exclude some small amount of code in the form of patches,
> but it certainly applies to libraries, etc. You can find the
> contributor agreement here:
> http://www.python.org/psf/contrib-form.html It's not that different
> than the one for Clojure. Again, I'm not arguing whether it's a "good
> thing" or not, simply that it's actually not as unheard of as people
> think, nor is it poorly founded in US legal precedent.

I find it odd that they don't mention this on the Developers Guide at
http://www.python.org/dev/ or the developers FAQ at
http://www.python.org/dev/faq/. Possibly this is a reflection of
reality, in that most contributions will be small patches or docs that
don't ship, and they don't enforce it until they want to include a
library. Or maybe this was planned but never actually happened. I know
that it's never been talked about on any of the Python lists I've hung
out on.

> > Seriously, the "snail-mail" requirement is the only one that's really
> > objectionable. Most places are quite happy with a scanned image of the
> > signed document (i.e. - the Chickasaw nation for my citizenship
> > papers).
> Then perhaps someone can offer to Rich to accept the scanned copies
> and deal with them? One of the "joys" of an open source project is not
> just contributing code, but helping out with the administrative
> overhead of running a project.

Exactly what has to happen to a PDF that was emailed to whoever would
have gotten the snail-mail copy, beyond printing and then treating
like the snail-mail'ed one?

         <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html