I finally got back to the web app that needed init'ing before
processing requests, and got that working (not quite as
straightforward as the various mails/docs make it look).

The problem now is that the init runs when the first request comes in
after the app has been started. While this works, it does mean that
first request takes a *long* time to process. Things after that run
pretty much instantly (as the main thread just renders the html), but
that one takes 10s of seconds.

I realize this is probably the wrong place to ask, but Google hasn't
been much help, and I have no idea what forums would be appropriate
for asking about such things (ring? jetty? Some servelet-developers
forum?), so...

Is there some way to convince Jetty (or tomcat, or ...) to run the
init methods of a servlet before the first request comes in? Or maybe
a pointer to the appropriate forum?

     Thanks,
     <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.