With Lance's help, I've gotten a better understanding of why CDT fails
with Cake.  The problem is that Cake makes use of Classlojure,
(https://github.com/ninjudd/classlojure), which allows multiple
versions of clojure to be loaded in the same vm simultaneously. (It's
pretty cool!)

Anyways that breaks certain assumptions that CDT makes about what
classes are loaded; it shouldn't be too hard to fix but will require a
bit of a redesign of cdt, so it will probably be a week or two before
I have a fix available.

Thanks to Lance for helping me understand.