On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Meikel Brandmeyer <m...@kotka.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 21. Juli 2011 16:06:23 UTC+2 schrieb Ambrose
> Bonnaire-Sergeant:
>
> >> You do not need to look at the surrounding code to know what (geto x y
> z) does.
> >> It establishes the geto relation between x y z. x must be some key in, y
> must be a
> >> vector of key-value pairs and z must be a value in y. The relation
> guarantees this.
> >
> > I think I understand where Meikel is coming from.
> >
> > The function can be used in radically different ways, depending on the
> values of the arguments,
> > which is somewhat unnerving. (I sympathize)
>
> Thanks for explaining my point than I did. Here some examples:
>
> logic-introduction.core=> (run* [q] (geto 'f [['f :- Integer] ['g :-
> Integer]] Integer) (== q true))
> (true)
> logic-introduction.core=> (run* [q] (exist [a] (geto 'f [['f :- Integer]
> ['g :- Integer]] a) (== q a)))
> (java.lang.Integer)
> logic-introduction.core=> (run* [q] (exist [a] (geto a [['f :- Integer] ['g
> :- Integer]] Integer) (== q a)))
> (f g)
>
> Basically the purpose *why* I call geto are always different (Maybe "call"
> is already wrong?). With (get x y z) in pure Clojure that's not the case.
> Free (fresh?) variables kind of feel like side-effects for my eyes. But
> again: I have no clue whatsoever about logic programming. Maybe I just have
> to train to look with the right glasses at the code.
>
> Meikel

geto establishes a relation and you can find out which values satisfy that
relation. Functional programming thinking won't help much here - consider
that in pure logic programs order doesn't even matter most of the time -
because you are establishing *relations* between values. I don't see the
correlation to side-effects here at all since order does not determine the
outcome of the program.

David