On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Alan D. Salewski <salew...@att.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:34:39AM -0400, Ken Wesson spake thus:
>> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:13 AM, mrwizard82d1 <mrwizard8...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I understand that the 1.3 beta plans to add an environment variable
>> > named clojure.load.path to provide a "CLASSPATH" mechanism for Clojure
>> > on the CLR.
>> >
>> > Although I use Windows, I have installed cygwin because I prefer the
>> > Unix tool set to that provided by Windows. Although a Windows console
>> > allows one to set environment variables like "clojure.load.path," the
>> > bash shell does not.
>>
>> Are you sure there isn't some form of quoting or escaping that will
>> make that name acceptable to bash?
>
> Identifiers in bash may contain only alphanumeric characters and
> underscores, and must start with an alphabetic character or underscore;
> there's no way to get around that with escaping or quoting.

Pardon me, but that seems to be missing the point. You don't need a
bash-language variable named "clojure.load.path", you just need to set
a Windows environment variable named "clojure.load.path", and the
rules for what characters are allowed in the names of Windows
environment variables will still be those set by Windows, which
apparently permit periods. As far as your bash script is concerned,
"clojure.load.path" probably needn't be anything more than an opaque
string passed to the host operating system via a call of some kind --
though that string could conceivably require quoting or escaping where
it's embedded as a literal in the script.

If bash has its own environment variable system, then that could be
confusing you, but then even if you succeeded it wouldn't work; the
Clojure tools won't see bash's internal system, only the host OS's, so
it's the host OS environment variables you need to get at regardless.

--
Protege: What is this seething mass of parentheses?!
Master: Your father's Lisp REPL. This is the language of a true