On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Jan Rychter <jrych...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you use Clojure to build an application that you subsequently
> launch and maintain, it is pretty much a given that you use contrib.
> Lots of it, in fact.

I think that depends on when you started building stuff with Clojure.
I get the impression quite a bit of old contrib grew up to provide
functionality not in Clojure's core and I see quite a few pieces of
old contrib that are explicitly deprecated because functions moved to
Clojure 1.2 (c.c.string, for example, mostly moved to clojure.string
long before Clojure 1.3 got under way). I suspect that folks who
started with Clojure long ago and are relying heavily on old contrib,
are probably relying on those old deprecated namespaces and functions
and have simply avoided updating their code to use the newer,
supported namespaces. I think the break in contrib coming with 1.3
will be good for the Clojure ecosystem overall because it will force a
lot of folks to clean up their code :)

As noted in another one of my comments in this thread, World Singles
started with Clojure 1.2 but switched to Clojure 1.3 early on and so
we've essentially not been allowed to depend on that old, unsupported
contrib code which I view as a big positive for us (as well as getting
the performance  boost of the updated numerics in Clojure 1.3).

One of the things World Singles needed early on was
clojure.contrib.sql so I pushed for that to be migrated and have ended
up being the maintainer now. If you can't find an author to migrate
and maintain an old contrib library, another option is for you to
volunteer to do that work and then you have the added benefit of being
able to enhance the library to better suit your needs (e.g., I added
the ability to return generated keys from insert operations in
clojure.java.jdbc).

> importantly, I worry that I won't be able to take advantage of Clojure
> 1.3 in any of my applications anytime soon.

A definite possibility - but changing your code to not rely on
outdated, unsupported libraries would have benefit to you in the long
run, yes?

> I think contrib modularization should either be carried all the way in
> time for 1.3, or stopped altogether (meaning I could continue to use
> the same old monolithic contrib code with Clojure 1.3).

Sorry, that ship done sailed a while back. I don't know how much work
it would be to make the modular contrib work on Clojure 1.3 (work
stopped on contrib around 1.3.0 Alpha 4) and given the number of
library authors who've stepped up to modernize and maintain new
contrib versions of old library modules, I can't imagine who'd put in
that work (to make old, unsupported code run on Clojure 1.3).
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."