Hey, just want to say thanks for all the advice! And Andy especially
for the kind offer - I may well PM some specific questions once I
start reading.

The Cormen et al. book looks great - tough but exactly what I need -
so I'm going to pick up a copy. And I'll also read the PhD thesis on
Functional Data Structures suggested by Nuno.