The validity of a scanned signature or electronic keys is subject to
interpretation
and assessment on a per case basis especially in civil contracts by the diverse
legal systems on Earth.

It's not the Clojure community that is behind, it's the legal systems of many
countries
that did not follow the pace of technology. Some will not recognize scanned
signatures
at all.

On the other hand, original hand written signatures are recognized almost every
where.

As much as you complain about the paper CA, you should complain about
the legal systems of these countries that do not follow US and western Europe
attempts to recognize technology changes and adapt to it.

You analyze the issue by the wrong end

It's not a technology issue, it's a legal one.

You could have the best electronic authentication scheme, if it's not
recognized by a country's legal system, it's useless in court in this country.
If claims rights on contributions not backed by a CA in a valid form as defined
in this
country, it's a lost case.

Big organizations have the tools and budgets to fight in various legal systems
out there. Not small open source projects or projects without big sponsors.

I understand and approve the requirement of the original hand written signature
in
this context. That's a real life issue that cannot be dealt with by technology
alone.

If a national mail system is not able to get reliably an envelope to the US
within 4/5 weeks, I would be very concerned about the state of their legal
system.

Luc

Softaddicts<lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca> sent by ibisMail from my ipad!