On Dec 7, 2012, at 9:42 PM, Andy Fingerhut wrote:

> When you say "we can run multiple instances of the test on the same machine",
> do you mean that, for example, on an 8 core machine you run 8 different JVMs
> in parallel, each doing a single-threaded 'map' in your Clojure code and not
> a 'pmap'?
>
> And what kinds of speedups does that achieve?
>
> The results could help indicate whether the problem you are seeing is due to
> the hardware/OS, or something about multiple threads within a single JVM.

Here are a couple more results, courtesy my colleague Josiah Erikson (who may
chime in here at some point too):

On a 4 core machine, each test within a single "lein run" call:

2:31 for (doall (pmap burn (range 8)))
1:29 for (doall (map burn (range 8)))
1:48 for (doall (pmapall burn (range 8)))  [see my reply to Jim, immediately
following this one, for pmapall]

Now with multiple "lein run" calls launched concurrently:

29 seconds to do 4 concurrent copies of (doall (map burn (range 2)))
33 seconds to do 8 concurrent copies of (burn 2)  [the argument to burn doesn't
matter, but that's what Josiah ran]
38 seconds to do 8 concurrent copies of (burn (rand-int 8)) [again, the
argument shouldn't matter].

48 seconds to do 2 concurrent copies of (doall (map burn (range 4)))
1:07 to do 2 concurrent copies of (doall (pmap burn (range 4)))

What do we learn from this, aside from the fact that things are way wacky?

Thanks for the help!!

 -Lee