> Just tried, my first foray into reducers, but I must not be understanding
> something correctly:
>
>   (time (r/map burn (doall (range 4))))
>
> returns in less than a second on my macbook pro, whereas
>
>   (time (doall (map burn (range 4))))
>
> takes nearly a minute.
>
> This feels like unforced laziness (although it's not quite that fast), but
> clojure.core.reducers/map involves no laziness, right?

Yep, reducers, don't use lazy seqs. But they return just sth. like
transformed functions, that will be applied when building the collection.
So you can use them like this:

    (into [] (r/map burn (doall (range 4)))))

See
http://clojure.com/blog/2012/05/08/reducers-a-library-and-model-for-collection-processing.html
and http://clojure.com/blog/2012/05/15/anatomy-of-reducer.html for more
info...