On Dec 11, 2012, at 4:37 AM, Marshall Bockrath-Vandegrift wrote:
> I’m not sure what the next steps are.  Open a bug on the JVM?  This is
> something one can attempt to circumvent on a case-by-case basis, but
> IHMO has significant negative implications for Clojure’s concurrency
> story.

I've gotten a bit lost in some of the diagnoses and experimental results and
analyses and suggestions -- all of which I really appreciate! -- but I'm trying
to get clear in my mind what the current state of things is from an application
perspective.

Is the following a fair characterization pending further developments?

---
If you have a cons-intensive task then even if it can be divided into
completely independent, long-running subtasks, there is currently no known way
to get significant speedups by running the subtasks on multiple cores within a
single Clojure process. In some cases you will be able to get significant
speedups by separating the subtasks completely and running them in separate
Clojure processes running on separate JVM instances. But the speedups will be
lost (mostly, and you might even experience slowdowns) if you try to run them
from within a single Clojure process.
---

Or have I missed a currently-available work-around among the many suggestions?

I realize that even if this is the current situation it might change via fixes
on any one of several fronts (and I hope that it does!), but is this indeed the
 current situation?

Thanks so much,

 -Lee