On Dec 11, 2012, at 1:06 PM, Marshall Bockrath-Vandegrift wrote:
> So I think if you replace your calls to `reverse` and any `conj` loops
> you have in your own code, you should see a perfectly reasonable
> speedup.

Tantalizing, but on investigation I see that our real application actually does
very little explicitly with reverse or conj, and I don't actually think that
we're getting reasonable speedups (which is what led me to try that benchmark).
So while I'm not sure of the source of the problem in our application I think
there can be a problem even if one avoids direct calls to reverse and conj.
Andy's recent tests also seem to confirm this.

BTW benchmarking our real application (https://github.com/lspector/Clojush) is
a bit tricky because it's riddled with random number generator calls that can
have big effects, but we're going to look into working around that. Recent
postings re: seedable RNGs may help, although changing all of the RNG code may
be a little involved because we use thread-local RNGs (to avoid contention and
get good multicore speedups... we thought!).

 -Lee