On Dec 13, 2012, at 4:21 PM, cameron wrote:

> Have you made any progress on a small deterministic benchmark that reflects
> your applications behaviour (ie. the RNG seed work you were discussing)? I'm
> keen to help, but I don't have time to look at benchmarks that take hours to
> run.
>
> I've also been using clojure for genetic programming and have been getting
> very good parallel speedups on a single jvm, this type of problem should see
> excellent performance gains, it has many medium size cpu intensive
> sub-problems that require no shared resources. I used hadoop to scale beyond
> single machines, in the worst case you can use this approach and you should
> see speed-ups equivalent to your multiple jvm test. I just split the
> population into small blocks and had each map function calculate the fitness
> and return a map of individual-id -> fitness.
>
> Cameron.

I don't think we've quite worked out a deterministic test, but I'll look into
it some more.

I'd be interested in seeing your GP system. The one we're using evolves "Push"
programs and I suspect that whatever's triggering this problem with multicore
utilization is stemming from something in the inner loop of my Push interpreter
(https://github.com/lspector/Clojush)... but I don't know exactly what it is.

I've never used hadoop, but I've done lots of coarse-grained parallel GP using
(gasp) shell scripts and the file system to glue the independent parts
together. I realize that I could go back to this sort of thing, or something
more modern and reasonable like hadoop, but of course it'd be a lot nicer if
parallelization via agents (or some other mechanism central to the language)
just didn't have whatever pathology we've uncovered.

 -Lee