ECB is another option.  It shows the directory tree, methods/functions,
altered files (waiting to be saved) etc.

I get the sense that people avoid ECB but I've always used because it had
IDE-like functionality that I missed.

Configuring it can be a bit difficult but IMO worth it.  I preferred it
over speedbar.

-Levi