Actually, that still didn't seem to work.  After a bit of fiddling, I found
that if I install sr-speedbar from melpa, it spits out a couple of
warnings, thinks it is installed, but I don't get any sr-speedbar commands.
 Strange.

I'll stick to just downloading the package from
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/sr-speedbar.el and installing it manually -
that seems to work fine (even without disabling make-local-hook).  If/when
I find time to dig further, I'll try to work out what is going wrong for me
with the melpa install.

- Korny