On Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:56:59 PM UTC-5, sampso...@googlemail.com
wrote:

> Apparently installing a development environment for Clojure on Windows 7
> is very difficult. What is the best way, that has a chance that it might
> work?

INSTRUCTIONS FOR WINDOWS 7 TO INSTALL CLOJURE - LEININGEN - ECLIPSE -
COUNTERCLOCKWISE

I am a newbie. Maybe my ignorant perspective will be helpful to others on
Windows 7. Maybe someone more astute than I will incorporate some of the
following into something more canonic. Some of this is from other sources,
but ultimately appeared to get me a Hello World on Console window. Note
that, before the following, many other attempts were made and, though I
tried to remove everything, not sure I did. It is possible that leftover
resources from a previous attempt when added to the steps below resulted in
final success. Don't give up.

Nothing crashed for me, but no kidding, back up files on your computer to
an external hard drive.

Also suggest you create a restore point, so if things don't work you may be
able to restore your system to its previous state (automatically
uninstalling software). Click:

Windows Start Menu Icon (lower right of screen)
Control Panel
System
System Protection
Create

Give the Restore Point a name. Wait for the Restore Point to be created.
Click Close
Click OK. If things fail and you want to start fresh, you can return to
System Protection to attempt to restore the system to its previous state.

In order to successfully install ANYTHING in the Program Files folder (64
bit) of Windows 7. If you are installing 32 bit then Program Files (x86).
These are the folders, respectively that such programs seem to want to be
in) I:

TURN OFF USER ACCOUNT CONTROL

    Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button Picture
of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box,
type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings.

    Do one of the following:

        To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and
then click OK. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an
administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned
off.

DISABLE YOUR FIREWALL.

      LATER, AFTER EVERYTHING IS INSTALLED, TURN USER ACCOUNT CONTROL AND
YOUR FIREWALL BACK ON.

I INSTALLED 64 BIT JAVA 7 (NOT the EE version. And on a computer capable of
running 64 bit). Don't remember where I got it from but try here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

INSTALLED IT TO THE PROGRAM FILES FOLDER ON MY HARD DRIVE.

I INSTALLED 64 BIT ECLIPSE.

FROM
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
To the Right of Eclipse IDE for Java Developers, 150 MB (I did not select
the Eclipse Java EE version) I clicked to download 64 Bit.

I DOWNLOADED IT TO THE PROGRAM FOLDER ON MY HARD DRIVE.
It reportedly includes Git.
Unzipped and installed it right there in the Program Folder.

The first time Eclipse is run, it will ask you for a location on your disk
where Eclipse will put its metadata and create new projects by default.

I placed that in my local UserName Folder within the User Folder.

Installed Counterclockwise also known as CCW (a Clojure plugin for Eclipse)

    In the Help Menu select Install new software…
    Paste the following Counterclockwise url in the “Work with:” textbox:
http://ccw.cgrand.net/updatesite/ , Hit Enter [[[---Name repository; Click
next; Click next; Accept]
    Select counterclockwise, verify the “Contact all update sites during …”
chekbox is checked, click next, accept licence, etc., restart Eclipse

    I floundered around and found Java Perspective (not Java Browser), but
you may try, as another instructed:
    "Go to menu Window > Reset Perspective ... this will reset the way the
views are layout, and also place correctly the views contributed by
Counterclockwise (the Namespace Browser view, placed "behind" the code
outline view)"

Now you would think it would be enough to just set pathway to a single
folder and let the system find things in subfolders. That might be slow.
Not sure if it would work.

I set many Pathways. Not sure what is really necessary but things seem to
work.

Good way to copy a pathway is to navigate to inside the folder in Windows
Explorer. Click just to the right of the pathway in the title bar to
highlight the entire path and press Ctrl C to copy.

Navigate to the inside of the .eclipse folder, and copy the name of the
pathway to the .eclipse folder
C:\Users\MyComputerUserName\.eclipse

Paste it into a text editor and add a backslash to make it look like
C:\Users\MyComputerUserName\.eclipse\
(read somewhere the backslash was necessary)

While you're at it, you may add other pathways. Navigate to inside the
.lein folder and add that in your text editor.
Separate the 2 pathways with a semi-colon (no spaces) to get something like
this
C:\Users\MyComputerUserName\.eclipse\;C:\Users\MyComputerUserName\.lein\

Similarly, add .m2 to get something like:
C:\Users\MyComputerUserName\.eclipse\;C:\Users\MyComputerUserName\.lein\;C:\Users\MyComputerUserName\.m2\

Maybe add path to your installed Java bin to get something like
C:\Users\MyComputerUserName\.eclipse\;C:\Users\MyComputerUserName\.lein\;Users\MyComputerUserName\.m2\C:\Program

Files\Java\jre7\bin\

Do the same for the JDK bin folder if you like.

Now copy that long string of multiple pathways from your text editor.

TO Add the Pathways in Windows 7 Click:
Start Menu
Control Panel
System
Advanced System Settings
Environment Variables

In the User Variables for YourComputerUserName, click to highlight the Path
Variable
Click Edit. You will see something like this (though the pathway may differ)

C:\Users\YourComputerUserName

Add a semi colon to the very end of the line and paste the long pathway
from your clipboard just after that semicolon (no spaces).

It will now look something like this:

C:\Users\YourComputerName;C:\Users\MyComputerUserName\.eclipse\;C:\Users\MyComputerUserName\.lein\;Users\MyComputerUserName\.m2\C:\Program

Files\Java\jre7\bin\

Also, in the Environment Variables window, I added to the _Systems
Variable_ CLASSPATH, the path to Git which is 32 bit:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Git
Yes there are a lot of spaces there, but these are Windows default folders.

Test the install. There are a number of Eclipse Clojure Hello World
examples out there. At some point, they may say something like:
Then navigate the cursor inside the call body and hit CTRL+ENTER on
Linux/Windows or CMD+ENTER on OS X. You should see "Hello, World!" printed
in the REPL.

IF CMD ENTER DOES NOT WORK IN WINDOWS 7 TRY:
Ctrl Alt S

There are other installation instructions here as well as tutorial to test:
https://github.com/clojuredocs/cds/blob/master/articles/tutorials/eclipse.md

The absolute limit of my knowledge. I may be posting my own questions soon.