@Andy: Sorry, I didn't know the proper channel, I'll post it there.

I don't control the column names. They're imported from an excel
spreadsheet or assigned by the client I'm writing the app for. From
experience, it is certainly *possible*, at least to add these columns.
Currently I just have a function that "escapes" the user input, replacing
special characters with lookalikes (i.e. space with an underscore).