On Feb 6, 11:42 am, Sean Corfield <seancorfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andy's right on process... but as maintainer of clojure.java.jdbc, I
> have to ask: why on earth do you have column names containing spaces
> or & or other weird characters? That's a serious question: how do you
> get into that situation?

JDBC is an interface for SQL dialects, not necessarily for relational
data stores. For example, I've seen WBEM/CIM[1] exposed via JDBC. I am
not surprised to see spaces in column names. Quite often those
situations are not under the control of JDBC user.

[1] CIM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Information_Model_(computing)

> I'm not saying clojure.java.jdbc can't be updated to support it, I'm
> just questioning whether it should...

I believe it should. The runtime configuration aspects (1. conversion
of column-name from Clojure to DB and vice versa, 2. wrapping of
Connection, Statement, PreparedStatement objects -- e.g. Excel JDBC-
ODBC connection doesn't support/throws exception on setAutoCommit, or
`long` data type that Clojure defaults to for ints) should be
extensible by the user.

Shantanu