I've always been awful at finding my keys, and rarely remembered if
yesterday's events were really three days ago. :) Being told to accomplish
rote tasks is gloomy, and I have to figure out how to internally motivate
myself. I've met many like me. Who knows the interpretation? Maybe a
charitable one is that we live with our heads in the clouds.

(Why enjoy things like Clojure? Because puzzle-solving mostly-pointless
incidental complexity is a glum way to spend time.)

Only when I become old, will this become anecdotal evidence for my whole
age category. :) Sorry fellows, I'll poison the well for you!

On Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:31:53 PM UTC+2, Brian Marick wrote:
> TL;DR: Opinions about unproductive older programmers is ahead of the
science.

Yes, when testing the cognitive effects of aging, it may even be better to
mentally replace "tests" with "microbenchmarks", which are typically not
used to explore deeper but make a naive point as-is.

And "age" with "ageism" (drawing the parallel to gender and race, which
offers a host of other interpretations of such microbenchmarks, like test
scores going down if you're self-conscious that yours will be used to
represent your entire classification, or the unfortunate phenomenon of
"internalized oppression").

Take the "young man's game" quote; many would not only find "young"
questionable, but "man's". Even if there were cognitive differences between
the genders, where females outperform males on verbal ability, that did not
keep Shakespeare and Gabriel García Márquez from being great authors.
Perhaps the same goes for age; if there are indeed cognitive differences,
those may be much slighter than commonly supposed.

All the best,
  Tj

PS: Sometimes when I mention my thoughts on these subjects, accidental
controversy erupts and pollutes the conversation. So I will be conservative
and bow out. Thanks for listening.