If the issue is that the GC implementation in Oracle's JVMs typically has a
sequential bottleneck in it with default parameters, then yes, Amdahl's law
is striking *for that GC implementation*.

For problems that are embarassingly parallel (little or no communication or
shared memory between threads), there is no law of the universe that says
that GC must have a sequential bottleneck in it.  A GC better tuned for
such problems could be developed, and perhaps already has.

Lee, did you ever get a trial for Azul's Zing JVM to see if its GC was any
better in this regard?

Andy