> take this opportunity to ask everyone to help us avoid the dependency
> mess that Common Lisp has gotten into, where there are over a dozen
> such "convenience" libraries[1].

Are Common Lispers actively suffering under this problem?  With the
emergence of QuickLisp, CL dependency problems seem to have been
smoothed over.

> adding to the dependencies of your library, you increase the
> likelihood of dependency conflicts for consumers.

Agreed.  But is the solution to strive for zero-dependencies?  That
seems extreme.  How should we view contrib libraries?  Should we avoid
depending on them too?  From my perspective, I try to minimize
dependencies, but if I need a library then I use it.

The Clojure community is very flexible, yet pragmatic.  Maybe a better
solution to zero-dependency is a "suite" of common libraries driven by
the community, that is not affiliated with Core and contrib?  I don't
know, just a thought.  It would lay somewhere between the more strict
contrib and the wild-west model of NPM and JS micro-libs.