While I haven't tried libgdx myself, you should be able to do something
like this:

1. Create a "global" namespace (or similar), which should contain global
variables
and/or functions that should never be reloaded. In this namespace you
essentially
put the things that there can only be one of - the "app" that you're
talking about.

2. Use https://github.com/clojure/tools.namespace to reload your code. With
this,
as long as you don't change the "global" namespace, the "app" will never be
reloaded.

Again, I don't know if this will work for libgdx, but it sounds like it
might. It's also
not very idiomatic to use a global "app", but since you can only have more
than
one, it should never be a problem. Of course, you will have to make sure
that
the old state is removed when restarting, but that should be manageable.

Jonathan