On Aug 22, 2013 2:19 PM, "Softaddicts" <lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca> wrote:

> > Jim,
> > > This is indeed a hack and not a best practice, maybe you're not using
the > right tool for your problem...
> > > - If you want to exchange data (think values), you should not be in
need of > keeping types and meta data

> Metadata is part of the Clojure environment and part of the value domain
it handles.
> Why should it not be transmitted along with the value ?
> If the receiver is not written in Clojure it may be questionable an
probably not
> very useful to transmit it but otherwise ?

I don't think anyone suggested the type of a record should not be part of
its edn representation. Here we're talking about arbitrary metadata. While
it is "part of the Clojure environment," the way in which it's "part of the
value domain it handles" is... subtle.

"An important thing to understand about metadata is that it is not
considered to be part of the value of an object. As such, metadata does not
impact equality (or hash codes). Two objects that differ only in metadata
are equal."
http://clojure.org/metadata