On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Armando Blancas <abm221...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We use select several times in one module; it wouldn't be hard to just copy
> and paste the function somewhere.

Technically, copying it into your code means absorbing some EPL code
and copyright © 2013 Sean Corfield stuff so beware of that in
commercial situations (I personally don't mind but lawyers at some
companies will object to this). Perhaps a solution here is for me to
put it in a library, on Clojars, under a different name and let folks
migrate to that as an interim solution (i.e., identical API so folks
would just update project.clj and update some ns declarations)?

FWIW, I replaced most (select ...) uses in our code with raw SQL in a
vector with the parameters, completely replacing the DSL usage where
it was easy to do so. I also wrote a function to mimic a subset of
(where ...) to just produce the WHERE condition with our quoting of
entities strategy hard-coded (and managed the parameters separately).
I also mimicked a subset of (order-by ...) with our quoted strategy
hard-code, which I could probably simplify some more if I analyze our
usage for more than a few minutes.

I've asked for guidance on clojure-dev as well, but I suspect I'm in
somewhat uncharted territory with a contrib lib wanting to revert a
big chunk of changes in an already released (alpha / beta) version of
a library.

In order to tackle the "API bloat" (which is temporary until the old
0.2.3 API goes away), one possibility is to restore java.jdbc 0.2.3 to
something like java.jdbc.deprecated and strip java.jdbc down to just
the new API. It would be a breaking change but relatively painless
(just change some ns declarations to switch from java.jdbc to
java.jdbc.deprecated for old code, or add java.jdbc.deprecated to
support both old and new code).
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."