I've been doing something very similar, but using IntelliJ + Cursive
Clojure - run Midje autotest inside the IDE for running tests, and also for
manually evaluating snippets of code.

<plug> Cursive gives me a lot of what I had from Emacs - paredit editing,
tight repl integration (alt-enter mapped to "eval sexp in repl" is used
heavily), decent code formatting and indentation.  And also all the Gui
stuff I always found clunky in Emacs: graphical directory tree, tool tips &
autocomplete, graphical hints for things like git integration, code
navigation including Java code.  I love emacs, but I'm increasingly
frustrated by the limitations of it's mostly-text interface </plug>

(p.s. I saw Jay's talk at Yow, and it was excellent, though a bit
depressing - we had pain getting Clojure working at our client, but far
less than Jay did.  When the Yow videos come out you can compare his
experiences with mine...)

- Korny

On 5 February 2014 09:09, Colin Yates <colin.ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting - thanks all.
>
> My experience of Light Table is quite close to Norman's, although I
> discounted that *in my case* to not spending enough time with it.  Knowing
> a little about who Sean is (from following your blog/comments/clojure.jdbc,
> not stalking! :)) I put a lot of weight behind his opinion.  Brian's too,
> whose emacs's environment is similar to mine.  I happen to run midge
> :autotest in a separate console rather than in emacs with xmonad as my
> desktop manager (I mention xmonad because if you haven't checked it out you
> should - you will love it or hate it).
>
> Guess I just need to carve out some time to play with it myself.
>
> On Wednesday, 5 February 2014 06:09:38 UTC, Sean Corfield wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Brian Marick <mar...@exampler.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I always grate at the need to then "immortalize" the core of what I did
>> in the REPL in repeatable tests.
>>
>> That's actually one of the things that bothered me in the Emacs REPL
>> world: working in the REPL was separate from working in my production
>> source and my test source. It's one of the things that has me really
>> hooked on LightTable. I have my source and test namespaces both open.
>> I have them both connected to a "REPL". I can evaluate any code, in
>> place, in either file. If I grow some code in the source file, I can
>> put (defn some-name [args]) in front of it and M-) slurps it into a
>> function - done! If I grow some code in the test file, I can put
>> (expect result-value) in front of it and M-) slurps it into a test -
>> done!
>>
>> Since I moved to LightTable, I've found myself doing even more
>> REPL-Driven-Development than before because it's so much easier to
>> turn the experiments into code - or tests - in place.
>> --
>> Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
>> An Architect's View -- http://corfield.org/
>> World Singles, LLC. -- http://worldsingles.com/
>>
>> "Perfection is the enemy of the good."
>> -- Gustave Flaubert, French realist novelist (1821-1880)
>>
>  --

Kornelis Sietsma  korny at my surname dot com http://korny.info
.fnord { display: none !important; }