>    1. Due to the path-copy semantics, the contention gets driven to the
>    root of the tree.
>

> Out of curiosity, would reference counting (rather than or in addition to
> "normal" GC) help with this? Or is reference counting problematic in a
> highly concurrent environment? It seems like reference cycles will be less
> of an issue with immutable data.

Reference counting tends to be less efficient than a tracing collector in a
concurrent environment. Reference counts must employ atomic updates that
can be relatively expensive, e.g. similar to how
AtomicLong.incrementAndGet() works. I've blogged on how atomic increments
work.

http://mechanical-sympathy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/adventures-with-atomiclong.html