Hi,

So this is a follow-up. I claimed that 1 CPU core can saturate the memory
but it turns out I was wrong, at least to some extend. Driven by curiosity
I decided to do some measurements and test my somewhat older MBP 2.2GHz
Inter Core i7. While it obviously all depends on the hardware, I thought it
could be still a good test.

In order to rule out the GC and JVM out of equation I went back to old good
C and wrote a simple program which accesses a 40MB chunk of memory in both
linear and random manner. All tests run a few times to ensure proper warm
up and allocations within OS, however  saw a great deal of consistency.  It
is not scientific by any means, but gives a rough idea what we are dealing
with. Here are results where numbers are normalized gains.

+----------------+-----------+------------+
| # of processes |  random   |  linear    |
+----------------+-----------+------------+
|        1       |   1.00    |   1.00     |
+----------------+-----------+------------+
|        2       |   1.97    |   1.76     |
+----------------+-----------+------------+
|        4       |   3.51    |   1.83     |
|        8       |   4.24    |   1.86     |

The conclusion is that in practice two cores can easily saturate memory
buses.  Accessing it in certain patters helps to some extend. Although 8
cores is pretty much all what makes sense unless you do tons of in cache
stuff.

Best,
Andy