Well, for better or worse we don't like conflicts that much. This has
benefits when it comes to some kinds of problem solving (the way to
consensus in Swedish companies is worth at least a chapter in a big book
about antrophology). This shyness for open conflicts can lead to stagnation.

This means that status quo is not turned over that easily, but when it
does, it happens like an avalanche (cow oscillator comes to mind).
Stockholm University has Clojure and Erlang in its second year curriculum
for computer science. Just saying.

Apart from that, its 3kloc database queries and Java classes galore and
Wordpress shops all over, like everywhere else. The single larges group
of workers in Stockholm is of course computer programmer. 33000 people out
of a million of so.

If an investor were kicking people out, its usually because money is
running low or for other more diffuse reasons. If an investor or boss
somewhere where kicking out people at random, he would quickly loose
respect from his other employeers. The rest would soon leave as well.

"In Sweden we have a system..." the ironic saying goes, but the truth is
that even though the housing situation is outright catastrophic, you would
not ever be put on the street if you wasn't psychotic enough not to accept
the help offered (worst case you would end up in a sad, sleepy, far far out
suburb with long commuting distances, but hey). The social security system
is simply generous enough to make sure people gets back on track, should it
be long time unemployment or whatever (this, and elderly care jobs, are
powering much of the popular music industry here).

Ah, everybody generalizes all the time. Henrik can nuance the picture.

I have been programming and promoting Clojure quite aggressively for some
years (it's hard not to), and the last months people have been starting to
say "yeah, my java friends really likes it" or "yes, my bf likes it too".

Wind of change.

/Linus
working at Agical AB, a consultancy in love with technology and sometimes
hosting Clojure Meet ups with Stockholm Clojure User Group and wov, so much
thing I really can help companies with everywhere, epic win