Thanks for the great feedback!

Am Freitag, 22. Mai 2015 05:48:38 UTC+9 schrieb Laurent PETIT:

> Sorry for jumping late inside the pool, but the topic has retained my
> attention from day one.
>
> As a developer of an IDE plugin (CounterClockWise for Eclipse), I'm very
> interested in this effort.
> Here are my ideas/questions/remarks:
>
> - Finding a winning scenario for adoption is key. A perfect tool with no
> users will be of no use
> - Specifically, for broad adoption, one scenario I can see is that such
> APIs are automatically delivered by library authors without changing any of
> their habit. E.G. the result would be automatically downloaded to either
> clojars or maven central as just an additional jar with a specific
> classifier.
> - To be even more specific, I think that this means that from start you
> should plan to provide leiningen plugin, at the very least. And probably
> maven (clojure-maven-plugin) and boot plugins as well. Go reach the users
> where they are.

I didn't think of giving the plugins high priority, but I guess you're
right! Thanks for pointing out their importance again.

> - Of course, from the point of view of an IDE, which already has the
> tooling to get jars from maven repositories, it would not be difficult then
> to get information from libraries, that could be used to help Users anytime
> about the libraries they've chosen. No need to get a REPL open and get all
> the project namespaces loaded. No need to reinvent another way to
> statically parse all the project dependencies to get static analysis (at
> least for the project dependencies).
> - This would also enable providers of not open-source projects to deliver
> the API - and not the source code -, and for this kind of scenario only
> your solution will be of help.
>
> If I remember well, when talking about this with Tom Faulhaber, the author
> of Autodoc, several years ago (yeah, hammock time can sometimes be veeeeery
> long ;-) ), he told me that everything was already there, in Autodoc, after
> it had produced the HTML pages. But maybe not published in the final "HTML"
> product. But definitely there, maybe even not just in memory, but as an
> intermediary set of files to be transformed, on the filesystem.

Do you mean the fourth item of "what Autodoc will generate" in
https://tomfaulhaber.github.io/autodoc/? It could be a starting point, but
I think we will have to go further.

Last point for today: I don't know how easy it could be done, but if the
> tool could give most possible accurate guidance about which arguments of a
> macro should be considered as symbols that will name locals inside the
> macro body, that would be very cool ! Currently Cursive probably has a list
> of macros for clojure core, and for most used clojure projects, with a way
> to declare which argument will be a symbol usable as a local, etc.
> Sooner or later, I'll have to do that for CCW also.
> Unless a standard comes out from your project first, which would be great
> :-)

I'm not entirely sure how you mean this, but I'll take some more time for
digesting your feedback anyway. On one of the latest Cognicasts, Colin
Fleming talked about a repo where library authors can upload extensions
that help the IDE understand their macros. I have to listen to it again,
but it sounded a bit like what you're talking about. Right now I can't find
that repo, though. Maybe he was just talking about plans.

Richard