Thanks for your reply. I just studied the pipeline code and am now
wondering how it can affect on which thread the transducer runs if the
answer to the question is unspecified.

The blocking put is made on a separate thread (channel named res), then
later a blocking take from that same channel is made in the second go-loop.

Or are you saying "if it takes too long, parallelize via pipeline"? In my
case I can't because the transducer is stateful. I can run multiple
pipelines with multiple transducer instances if I split up the inputs
manually and later merge the outputs. But since the transducer does all of
the relevant work, I need to determine where it runs.

The only alternative I see is to re-implement the transducer process within
a thread/loop body and run multiple of those.

I am not familiar with the JVM locking mechanism of core.async so what
should I be worried about when the "transducer is executed inside the
channel lock"? Are other channels going to have to wait if it is too slow?