http://worrydream.com/ClimateChange/

I hadn't been thinking about global overheating (aka climate change) much
before Eric Normand recommended that article of Bret Victor's in his
Clojure Gazette. Now I'm thinking about it a lot and thought I'd try and
bring it to broader attention in the communities I know. For everyone here
who hasn't found something to devote her- or himself to; for everyone who
thinks that devoting oneself to creating yet another picture chat¹ is
worthwhile; for everyone else, too: I strongly suggest reading that
article. (The discussion on Hackernews
<https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10622615> might be helpful as well.)

Global overheating is not the only extistential risk humanity is facing. In
the wake of reading Bret Victor's article I discovered a bunch of other
people who take on the burden of worrying about more than their private
lives. This might be a good entrypoint:
http://www.openphilanthropy.org/focus/global-catastrophic-risks The Open
Philanthropy Project has a list of more global catastrophic risks
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KeoKVYspULcMXtfoNCaedkATc1wmHlqFyz5Nt0BZ4BQ/>
.

Or, for an even more general approach: http://www.effectivealtruism.org/

Please think about it.

Richard

PS. Sorry for posting off topic.

¹…or Wiki software or React wrapper or cat video publishing platform or…… –
I don't mean to bash people creating such things. Only to weigh the
importance of such things against the importance of helping humanity
survive.