On 13 Apr 2016, at 04:18, 'Lee' via Clojure <clojure@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Thanks again to Alan, Pedro, and Colin for the input on this.
>
> I found the modern-cljs tutorial most helpful, and was able to put the
> compiled Hello World example on a server and then run it from my browser.
> Victory!
>
> It seems like I am very close to doing what I want, which is to put an
> existing pure Clojure program (with no GUI or networking or database etc.)
> online so that the small group of users  of this program (mathematicians
> interested in a specific set of questions about finite algebras) can run some
> computations in their browsers, without having to install anything on their
> own machines. As I mentioned before, I'd like to do this, for now, without
> having to learn a lot about Javascript or web programming.
>
> I am still facing what I think are some small hurdles, however. I'll bet can
> be overcome easily, but all of the tutorials I see require one to learn a lot
> more to do this than I have time to learn right now.
>
> Specifically: 1) I need my code to get some input (just parameters to the one
> function that I will run), and 2) ideally the output would go to the browser
> window rather than to the Javascript console.
>
> Ignoring 2 for the moment, I see that the Javascript console provides a
> Javascript REPL. If I can call a Clojurescript function there, and especially
> if the Clojurescript read function read from this REPL, then I could have my
> users work in the Javascript console. Not ideal, but it could work in a pinch.
>
> Ideally, though, I would have either a single text field Clojurescript REPL
> on the web page itself, or two text fields, one for input and one for output,
> and a "Run" button to trigger the computation.
>
> I don't much care what this all looks like. I just want some way to get text
> input and print text output, preferably in the browser window.
>
> I assume that the modern-cljs tutorials would get me there, but only after
> substantial detours through several other topics. I'm sure this is all
> important and useful stuff, which I'd love to study if I ever want to do more
> substantial web programming. But for now I just want to make this existing
> program available to my users in their browsers.
>
> So: Can anyone point me to a minimal way to get text I/O and trigger a
> function call (presumably with a button) in Clojurescript in the browser,
> without relying on knowledge of Javascript or web programming? Alternatively,
> if anyone can point me to a description of how to call Clojurescript
> functions in the Javascript console, and also to read input from the console,
> that would also help.

I think your easiest option might be to use Reagent:

http://reagent-project.github.io.

You would have to know some html, CSS and Javascript. I doubt there is any way
around having some basic knowledge of them. Code Academy have some courses that
cover the basics:

https://www.codecademy.com/learn/web

https://www.codecademy.com/learn/javascript.

There is a video on how to set up and use Reagent here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq6ctyZBb0A.

Alan