You are not alone - it's the number one frustration in the community

https://www.reddit.com/r/Clojure/comments/433y02/state_of_clojure_2015_survey_results/

But also see the responses - maybe we will have some major improvements
with 1.9. Spec looks like good infra to support those efforts for improving
macro errors.

On a practical note - and it's not a 'solution'  - iterative development
can helps since you can go usually go back to a known good position and
work backwards.

Like I say, not a great solution but might help to reduce the frustration.

Ray