The ship has indeed sailed. However, it is exactly these moments when
software starts to degrade - there are many examples of crufty
software crippled by legacy decisions.

I would much rather have ruthless application of 'good' engineering,
deprecating where necessary than continue to pay the cost of a poor
decision with every new person. Just remember that every 'yeah, it has
always worked like that' or 'yeah, I know, just accept it' a puppy
riding on the back of a unicorn led by an angel dies.

Optimise for the current users or optimise for the new user? Almost
always optimising for the new user is the right decision.