On Sunday, October 19, 2014 12:29:01 PM UTC-7, Colin Yates wrote:
> Any advice for a newbie about to embark on a new non-trivial SPA using cljs,
> om and (om-)bootstrap.
>
> I am not a newbie in terms of CSS, JS (coffeescript for the win!) or Clojure
> (despite the evidence :)).
>
> The app itself will live on an internal LAN with a small number of clients,
> heavyish logic but low load. It will be heavily influenced by CQRS and event
> sourcing, with the server transmitting "domain events since you last checked
> in" to the client.
>
> In particular, what do you wish you had done differently, specifically in
> regard to:
>  - using JS from cljs (which unfortunately still makes my eyes bleed :))
>  - integrating 3rd party components (e.g. jquery ui) with om
>  - unit testing (previously used midge work but I think I will stick with
> core.test with the humane plugin)
>  - cross browser javascript (I assume the google closure library helps here)
>  - hooking up a browser to the REPL (IE8 unfortunately!)
>  - web sockets/polling (again IE8)
>
> I am close to finalising on (but counter-arguments welcome!):
>  - Cursive clojure (falling back to emacs if necessary - so far it isn't)
>  - lein-cljsbuild
>  - garden for CSS (but happy to hear stories around asset management)
>  - core.typed
>  - core.test or midje
>  - transmit for encoding data
>
> (I have had a look at luminus and it seems great. However, I "get" om
> architecturally more than reagent and I have already settled on a number of
> other libraries. I have also looked at pedestal but it needs to be deployed
> on Windows which they don't support.)
>
> Anything you wish somebody had told you before you started?
>
> Thanks a bunch!

Regarding Garden, what are your concerns around asset management? Garden
supports :preamble much like ClojureScript so you're able to include other flat
CSS files and has built-in minification. There are several other nice features
such as automatic prefixing as well.

I won't deny that Sass has much better library support than Garden (because
virtually no one is sharing them) but on the flip-side you're exchanging, as I
mention in the README, a _preprocessor_ for a _programming language_. Although
Garden is still young it's extraordinarily powerful but if you're not a serious
CSS author this power may not be useful to you. Garden is also capable of being
used both from Clojure and ClojureScript which can be a "nice to have".

We use Garden in production at Outpace and Prismatic also uses it for their
stylesheets as well.

Anyway, this is just my opinion.