On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 18:10 +0200, Bastian Winkler wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 04:03:58PM +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> > don't. if you really need, use the set_from_rgb_data() method with the
> > various values from GdkPixbuf: there's a direct mapping from what's
> > required from ClutterTexture (width, height, rowstride, alpha channel
> > and pixel data) to what GdkPixbuf provides.
>
> The main advantage of using GdkPixbuf for image loading is the
> PixbufLoader. At least on my system I get some hickups in the clutter
> mainloop when loading (very large) images with clutter.
> Would be nice to have this in clutter too :)

I'd really, *really* don't want to have GdkPixbufLoader functionality in
Clutter: it would be useless replication. you can already use the loader
API by simply including gdk-pixbuf.h and compiling against libgdkpixbuf;
the code to do that is pretty trivial[0][1].

should gdk-pixbuf be split from gtk+ so that you don't need to build the
latter to get the former installed? it can be a solution. a different
packaging would also solve the issue - it's not like you need gdk-pixbuf
from trunk: the API does not change, and the bug fixing is pretty spread
out being an old library.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

+++

[0] it could actually go inside a Cookbook document.
[1] you cannot partially upload a texture while loading, because that
would not make sense; to you just need to load asynchronously, attach a
callback to the ::size-prepared signal in which you set the size of the
ClutterTexture actor you will use to upload the texture, and then call
the set_from_rgb_data() method when you have the GdkPixbuf ready.

--
Emmanuele Bassi, Intel Open Source Technology Center