As it turns out, no, I can't use Qt5. In fact, I'd love to hear from anyone who actually has. I find this in Modules/FindQt.make:

===========================
if (Qt_FIND_VERSION)
  if (Qt_FIND_VERSION MATCHES "^([34])(\\.[0-9]+.*)?$")
    set(DESIRED_QT_VERSION ${CMAKE_MATCH_1})
  else ()
message(FATAL_ERROR "FindQt was called with invalid version '${Qt_FIND_VERSION}'. Only Qt major versions 3 or 4 are supported. If you do not need to support both Qt3 and Qt4 in your source consider calling find_package(Qt3) or find_package(Qt4) instead of find_package(Qt) instead.")
  endif ()
endif ()

So I re-installed Qt4, rebuilt CMake (./bootstrap --qt-gui, make, sudo make install) and still got the same runtime failure.

Quoting David Cole <dlrd...@aol.com>:

Can you use Qt5? CMake 3.7 is typically built using Qt5: perhaps a Qt5
**requirement** has crept in since it's the commonly used one now.

HTH,
David C.